ACTIVE Skills for Reading uses thematically organized non-fiction reading passages to teach reading comprehension and vocabulary skills. Written by reading specialist Neil J. Anderson, this innovative series uses an ACTIVE reading methodology to help learners become more confident, independent – and active – readers.
- Intro level builds the reading skills of beginning learners
- Twelve updated thematic units carefully develop active reading skills by incorporating pre-reading activities, vocabulary development activities, critical thinking opportunities, timed readings, and opportunities to increase students’ reading fluency
- Four “Building Reading Fluency” review sections focus on developing reading speed and fluency
- Enhanced and varied reading selections include newspaper articles, websites, blogs, journals, letters, and more for variety
- Focus on critical thinking encourages students to go beyond reading comprehension to analyze each text and the author’s intent
- Students increase their reading fluency by reading passages, graphs, charts and interviews, and by practicing skills such as scanning, predicting, and looking for the main idea of a reading passage